Before and after

Before and after
Before...eating junk, no exercise and feeling terrible. After...eating "clean", weight training, cardio and feeling amazing 19 years later.

30 years ago I was in the path of an unhealthy future due to my poor food choices and no exercise. Eating Clean cleansed the inside of my body and I sculpted the outside with weight training. Now 48 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life. It's never too late to change your body and your life!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Daily Meals and Workout Routine



Even though I like this saying, I believe it's really 80/20 and abs can absolutely be enhanced in the gym with weights.  But, you have to melt the snow so your peaks and valleys can show!

I've had many comments wanting to know my daily meals and workout plan, so here you go:

After adjusting meal plans from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet/Cookbook, along with Bill Phillips' Eating for Life recipes, I came up with food that actually works for me.  I eat small meals every 2-3 hours, protein shakes after my workout and during the day, and I drink a lot of water, about a gallon a day.  I eat a lot of protein, (chicken breasts, tuna, turkey, salmon) a vegetable, (spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus) and a complex carb (sweet potato, couscous, quinoa, farro) in each meal.  I also try to squeeze in small amounts of fresh fruit and protein shakes after my workouts and other times during the day.

Example day:
7-8am - Banana, oatmeal with 1 scoop of protein powder, flax, cinnamon, nutmeg, blue agave nectar (1 T) water & coffee
10:30am - Protein shake or bar
12pm - Chicken breast salad with hard boiled egg whites, tomato, mushrooms, spinach, quinoa, (1/2 olive oil ½ red wine vinegar dressing) & water
2:30 - Protein shake or bar
5pm - Tuna, salmon, or turkey, hb egg white, brussel sprouts, sweet potato, water
7:30 – Greek yogurt w/berries or a protein shake

Workouts
Day 1 – Legs & abs
Day 2 – Arms & obliques, cardio
Day 3 – Butt, chest, back, cardio
Day 4  - Rest or just cardio
Repeat

Shoulders - Shoulder press; Front raises; Lateral raises; Reverse flyes
Biceps - Dumbbell curls; Hammer curls
Triceps - Triceps kickbacks; Bench dips
Chest - Dumbbell incline press; Dumbbell incline flyes; Push-ups
Back - Dumbbell rows; Back extensions; Pull-ups
Abs - Hanging knee raises with ankle weights; Floor crunches; Oblique floor crunches; V-ups
Hamstrings & Glutes  - Dumbbell lunges; Straight-leg deadlifts; Lying leg curls & weighted kickbacks.
Quadriceps - Leg presses; Leg extensions       
Calves - Standing calf raises
Cardio - 30 minute intervals  (treadmill, stairmaster, or recumbent bike)

4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful you posted this, Gwen! Your story, progress and accomplishments are seriously admirable. I'm just so happy for you!! Your physical transformation is amazing!
    God bless, Marylou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much MaryLou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 01, 2012

    Yes, thanks for sharing. Your initial transformation and then your recent getting ready for competition is amazing. So knowing some of your "secrets" helps readers like me figure it out a little more. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 02, 2012

    Can you go more into detail about the first few days of what/how you kicked your sugar habit.....PLEASE!!! You are a beautiful inspiration. Lucea

    ReplyDelete