Before and after

Before and after
Before...eating junk, no exercise and feeling terrible. After...eating "clean", weight training, cardio and feeling amazing 19 years later.

30 years ago I was in the path of an unhealthy future due to my poor food choices and no exercise. Eating Clean cleansed the inside of my body and I sculpted the outside with weight training. Now 48 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life. It's never too late to change your body and your life!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Living to eat?


Since I’m staying with my mother until she can walk again, I’m having to physically take care of her, cook, clean, do laundry, and run errands.  Yesterday, I went the store to pick up a few things and as the young very heavy girl was ringing me out she said, “How do you stay so skinny?”  Normally, the word skinny would sort of offend me because I’ve worked so hard to be fit…but it was obvious that she was nutritionally uneducated so skinny was a positive word for her.  I said, “Well, I work out a lot, I don’t drink soda, only water, and I don’t eat sugar.”  The lady behind me said, “She’s just not living is she…ha ha ha!” 

I guess to most people, eating sweets and dressed up garbage qualifies you to “live”.  In reality, I’m eating so I can actually live…a long time.  I don’t want to be in the hospital with complications from diabetes, I don’t want to have a heart attack from clogged arteries, and I don’t want to be fat, unfit, and unhealthy.  I AM LIVING.  This is how I choose to live and I love it. 

Eating clean IS the answer to fueling your body the proper way and never depriving it of food.  Weight training IS the answer to sculpting your body into any way you want to look.  Live so you can eat?  I think not!  Eat so you can LIVE. J

5 comments:

  1. here here! well said Gwen. Fat unhealthy people sh!t me to no end. I hate their ignorance and their snide remarks at people who are dedicated to their health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! So many people tell me "oh I just love food too much to eat like you! " I love food, I love being fit, and I love not feeling bloated! Clean food IS food and it's delicious! You're amazing Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your article. I must add that I was as ignorant as the checker. I now eat clean as possible. Skin looks better and I feel healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this, Gwen! I hear the same stuff over and over again. It's so frustrating! I can just picture that lady behind you saying that...grrrr! They don't get it. Same as we don't get how they can live like they do. Being called skinny DOES suck when you work your ass off in the gym trying to build muscle! AND, if I had a dime for every time I heard "you've got to live a little", I'd be a rich girl! Sure, the bad-for-you food tastes good, but it's not worth the health complications to eat it day after day and call it "living". Great post, Gwen! You ARE amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post as well. Very similar experience, but with family. All my family eats fairly healthy, but when we get together they like to all go out to this diner. I think it just blows people's minds when I really say I don't like that food. Who likes grease? Why eat that when I can come up with something cleaner and tastier in my own kitchen? I actually had them say "ugh, that life would suck to never enjoy" I do enjoy! I enjoy all my meals, even just a scoop of protein with almond milk lol I remember before I found awesome recipes and started experimenting in the kitchen, sure I thought some of my meals were boring, but NOW there are just so many endless possibilities! Sorry for the long post, but I always appreciate what you have to write. Hope all is well with your mom.

    ReplyDelete