Before and after

Before and after
Before...eating junk, no exercise and feeling terrible. After...eating "clean", weight training, cardio and feeling amazing 19 years later.

30 years ago I was in the path of an unhealthy future due to my poor food choices and no exercise. Eating Clean cleansed the inside of my body and I sculpted the outside with weight training. Now 48 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life. It's never too late to change your body and your life!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where's The Easy Button?

I had the privilege of staying at the Four Seasons Hotel in St. Louis over the weekend as I returned home for a good friend’s wedding.  I was excited to use their incredible fitness center that included all the bells and whistles.  I had a fantastic workout and used almost every machine there, including the dumbbells.  Ok, I think I might have overdone it a little bit, but I took full advantage of their fantastic facilities while I was there.

There were about six other people working out at the same time I was there.  Unfortunately, there was a common theme.  NONE of them were putting in much effort into their workouts.  A couple of people were sort of just dogging it out on the treadmill; one guy was reading a newspaper as he slowly pedaled a recumbent bike; and one woman would do a leg extension, slowly flip through 3-4 pages in her magazine, then quickly do another one, flip pages, repeat…  That was the same woman who was yelling at her slow moving husband about why they needed to be there working out.  Another man whipped through every machine in only about 10 minutes.

I used to be guilty of this too.  I was just going through the motions and calling it a “workout”.  Not any more.  Now, I make every second of my workouts count.  Who has time to waste?  You need to break a sweat, grunt, scream, push hard, do whatever it takes to maximize your efforts.  You absolutely get out of it what you put into it.  Make it hard and make it count…go big or stay home.  It’s brutal, but honest!  There is no easy button in the gym.  What will be easy is looking at your results in the mirror.  

3 comments:

  1. I see those same people as well daily at my gym. Though I'm not in awesome shape yet, I know that I will be eventually.

    I grunt and blow out, "Shhhhooo" as I'm lifting heavier & heavier weights. I think I have this secret satisfaction when I see the guys look at me with a cocked eyebrow now that I'm out of the "girly" dumbbells and getting into the above 10lb-ers for my arm workouts, and using in the 30's to 40's for squats and lunges.

    Love your blog!! Using you for inspiration and motivation!

    LPM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, LPM! You're doing what it takes...keep on keepin' on girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN! All the effort you put in, you get back in rewards! You rock Summergirl!

    ReplyDelete